The biggest mistake that you can make is to believe that you are working for somebody else … The driving force of a career must come from the individual. Remember: Jobs are owned by the company, you own your career!
– Earl Nightingale, Motivational Speaker
A number of YOU are engaged in your daily grind; some pursuing studies and some in the workforce. But very many of you are still grappling with the idea about your future; not because you don’t know what you want to do! To the contrary, you are unsure whether this is what you want to do the rest of your life. Is this your passion? Will this pull you to office every Monday or will it be a ‘Mourn’day! One of the students even went on to say, “Sir, I’ve so many passions, I love to do so many things. How will I know what is my ‘true’ passion?”
So how do you know what is your true Passion? What is your true calling? Your true purpose! Believe me, when I say, YOU are here for a reason … Find the WHY? And the What and How will follow.
So how do you know what you are doing is indeed your calling? Five easy steps to find whether this will ENGAGE you.
- Does it engage you? The first sign of engagement comes when there is a twinkle in your eye, and a bounce in your steps just thinking of the kind of work you are doing. YOU love to associate with your kind. You eagerly go out of your way to engage with leaders/ pioneers in this field, seek out like-minded people and love talking/ discussing about it. You read about it in various, magazines/ journals – seek more information!
- Does it take you to a new peak? Do you see yourself rising in this field? Is it associated with fame, power or both? Or are you doing something which no one has done before? All these help you push the envelope. It also challenges you to do new things, follow your heart and tread a new path. Some of us fear this path, as it’s a “Road less Traveled”.
- Do you often look at your clock while working? Or are you so engrossed in the thing that you are doing that time seems to fly by. You don’t even have time to look up towards the watch face, don’t check ‘time’ and meeting deadlines seem ‘good’ and it excites you. There is no stress in doing things that you love to do. Ever read a very interesting book and time seems to have just flown by and you hear your mom, somewhere in the distance, shouting your name out to join her for the meal?
- You are ‘fully charged’ when you are doing what you are doing? Oft said, “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life”. Your love for the job will drive you to excel and everybody recognises excellence! You don’t fear to be dumped as your output will always surprise your stakeholders. You’ll be fearless and your passion will take your feet to office every single day and no more will you be doing just a job!
Remember, Sunscreen (Buz Luhrman), some of the most interesting 40 year olds I know are still searching. So go ahead and live your life, a life with no regrets and remember YOU are writing YOUr own story. In the evening of your life, YOU need to share YOUr story – go and make it interesting.